Paul Roos urges Aussies to give kids the gift of sound
Tuesday, 27 September, 2011– Former Sydney Swans Coach and 2008 Australian Father of the Year Paul Roos has joined forces with The Shepherd Centre to encourage people to support Loud Shirt Day on October 21st and to help raise funds for deaf and hearing impaired children.
The Shepherd Centre and its passionate ambassadors want people to take up the challenge and register to swap their business shirts, school uniforms and every day wear for their brightest possible outfits on Friday 21 October and to encourage their friends and family to sponsor them.
Paul Roos is delighted to be on board again in 2011 and showing his support for the children at The Shepherd Centre.
“I’m proud to be supporting The Shepherd Centre and Loud Shirt Day again in 2011. It’s a great way to get the community involved and raise awareness about the work The Shepherd Centre does. I’ll be wearing my Loud Shirt on October 21st and I encourage everyone to get behind the campaign,” said Mr Roos.
According to Jim Hungerford, The Shepherd Centre CEO, thousands of Aussies have already committed to Loud Shirt Day and we are looking for an additional 900 hosts to ensure that it breaks its 2010 records.
“Thousands of Aussies, like Loud Shirt Day ambassador Paul Roos, already have it in their diary to wear their support on October 21st. It’s vital that we have as many people as possible registered for Loud Shirt Day, and let us know if they intend to encourage their colleagues, family and friends to sponsor them.
“The Shepherd Centre and The First Voice centres are all charities and although we receive some limited government funding, we rely on the generosity of the community and fundraising. Loud Shirt Day is the primary fundraising event for The Shepherd Centre,” said Mr Hungerford.
Research shows that every dollar invested in early intervention services for deaf children produces almost two dollars worth of social, educational, vocational and economic benefit.
According to this recent report, launched at Parliament House last month, the costs of early intervention programs are dwarfed by the benefits such as reduction in educational costs, more jobs at higher incomes, and an improvement in social connection.
“These are the kinds of very real and positive benefits generated by Loud Shirt Day fundraising”, said Mr Hungerford.
To register your Loud Shirt Day event, or to participate, head to www.loudshirtday.com.au.
 Early intervention programs to assist children with hearing loss develop spoken language. A social cost-benefit analysis. A report prepared for First Voice. Econtext. August 2011
Loud Shirt Day is now a little over 4 weeks away – very exciting! We thought that it might be a good time to remind everyone of the very simple steps to planning a Loud Shirt Day…
- REGISTER of course, this is the first and most important place to start! Its a simply process that should take about 2-3 minutes with our easy registration form. The information that you provide allows us to send out your Host Kit quickly and it allows gives us the information that we need to plan for future years and ensure that the campaign is raising lots of funds to give the gift of sound and speech to deaf children.
- The official date of Loud Shirt Day this year is Friday 21 October however if this date does not suit you then feel free to decide on another one that does around that time.
- Planning your own Loud Shirt Day can be as simple or as elaborate as you choose. We have some great fundraising ideas in our Host Kit as well as here on the blog. Have a think about where you will have your Loud Shirt Day, who you want to invite and how you will raise funds on the day and in the lead up to your event.
- Use your Fundraising Page to ask your friends, family, colleagues and other networks to support your involvement and sponsor your Loud Shirt Day easily. The Fundraising Page is the perfect way to let people know how they can support by credit card payment, receipts are automatically sent and the donations are tax deductible – TOO easy!!
- The posters in our Host Kits are LOUD, bright and cheery and provide all of the information that you need to promote your Loud Shirt Day. Its also a good idea to email everyone about your event, letting them know the date, time and what they need to do to support you, be sure to include the link to your Fundraising Page in your email invitation!
- Plan your LOUD shirt or LOUD outfit, be sure to get as bright and crazy as you can, this is the one day of the year that you can wear clashing, crazy colours and patterns proudly! Encourage others to do the same and share some pictures of the outfit that you are planning to wear for inspiration.
- HAVE lots of fun at your event, choose a few ways that you will entertain and raise funds on the day and remember that you can be as imaginative as you like or you can keep things nice and simple.
- Say THANKS, be sure to follow up your event with an email and some pictures to those you helped you plan and those who came along to WEAR THEIR SUPPORT.
- If you received donations on the day of your event in cash or cheque then you will need to bank them using the banking instructions in our Host Kits. The donations that were made online are all collated automatically so no need to worry about doing anything with them except to promote them on your Facebook page and in your emails of course!
If you have any questions at all, or need any more materials or help with your fundraising please call our national event hotline on:
1300 721 326.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
A LOUD tea party is the perfect way to get the girls together at home, or to get your colleagues together at work. It’s such an easy and FUN chance to dress up, enjoy some tea and treats and raise funds to give deaf children the gift of sound and speech.
Here are some ideas to help you organise your own LOUD Tea Party for Loud Shirt Day:
- Register NOW (use the big pink button over on the right) to receive your Host Kit in the mail with all of the tools you need to prepare your own Loud Shirt Day.
- When you register online you will be automatically set up for online fundraising and this is such an easy way to collect donations from your friends, family, colleagues and networks. Simply email everyone the link to your fundraising page and tell them about your plans to FUN raise!!
- Have a think about when and where would be best to have your LOUD Tea Party, the official date of Loud Shirt Day is Friday 21 OCtober however you can choose another date around that time if it does not suit you on that date.
- Friday afternoon is the perfect time for a LOUD Tea Party, perhaps with a glass of pink champagne?
- Have a look around in the shops for some bright paper plates, paper cups and napkins so that your Tea Party is as loud as possible, lots of clashing colours, stripes and spots, the louder the better!
- Maybe you could ask your invited guests to bring something LOUD for your Tea Party such as fairy bread, cupcakes with bright icing, rainbow coloured fruit plate, different coloured jelly cups or anything that they can create in the kitchen with a bit of LOUD!
- Ask everyone to come in their LOUDEST outfit, mix and match, clashing colours, stripes and spots, floral vintage, Hawaiian shirts…whatever they can put together to make a LOUD statement!
- Be sure to use all of the LOUD posters in your Host Kit to decorate your Tea Party, and you could also use some bright streamers, bunting or balloons as well.
- Ask guests to make a donation online as their entry fee to your tea party and maybe you could also run a LOUD raffle at your event, or a fashion parade of the funky LOUD outfits in attendance.
- Take as many photos as you can of the LOUD food, LOUD outfits and all of the fun-raising activities you and your guests enjoy. Please send your photos to email@example.com and also share them on our Facebook page.
Please let us know if we can assist you with your fundraising in any way, thank you for your support!